A certainty trap has sprung up within both Islam and Christianity, resulting in a world struggling with the fallout from extremist and violent interpretations of what the word of God might mean. In The Certainty Trap, Musk looks at the phenomenon of fundamentalism in Christianity and its contributions toward the messy state of international affairs in which many—especially Muslims—find themselves today. By scrutinizing sacred book interpretation in both the Islamic and Christian heritages, The Certainty Trap challenges contemporary religious fundamentalism and is a timely contribution to Muslim-Christian relations.
- ISBN: 9780878085194
- Pages: 257
- Binding: Paperback
- Published: 2008
- Publisher: William Carey Library
A certain belief
- 1. "Fighting" means fighting, for heaven's sake!
- 2. This is the way the world ends!
- 3. Sorry, I didn't really mean that!
- 4. Here's what that really means!
- 5. It makes sense if you take into account...
- 6. Relying on a text
- 7. Securing a holy Bible?
- 8. Ascertaining a holy Qur'an?
- 9. The clear and the not-so-clear
- 10. The genius of genealogies
Certain believing amid uncertainty
- 11. Answering the Islamists
- 12. Beware the uncertainty trap!
- 13. Escaping the uncertainty trap!
- 14. A straight path less certain?
- An Introductory Bibliography