Frontline Women is a collection of writings on women’s issues from those who have had mission field experience. Each author has special interest and expertise in the area in which he or she has written.
In the past we have failed to understand the significance of gender in mission work. Though women have historically been the majority in mission service, they have not been allowed much say in policies or strategizing. This book deals with gender differences in many areas of life and how that affects service to God in mission work. Women’s God-given gifting is meant to complement that of men and needs to be recognized, appreciated, and made use of in the day-by-day functioning of missions. In some mission agencies changes are being made in regard to women’s role and care. In this edition the authors have updated and added new information from their research and experience.
Contributors include: Marla Campbell, Dianne Collard, Donna Downes, Ruth Ann Graybill, Steve Hoke, Charles Kraft, Judith Lingenfelter, Laurel McAllister, Sheryl Silzer, and Sharon Soper.
- ISBN: 9780878083992
- Pages: 318
- Binding: Paperback
- Published: 2012
- Publisher: William Carey Library
Years of pain will be skipped when women read Frontline Women. With the frank disclosures and clear suggestions in this book, women will be prepared before they get to the field. Mission agencies will be equipped to bless the women on their team.
Women need to read this book to be encouraged. Men need to read it and wake up.
Many young women are struggling to find an appropriate place in today’s mission world. This helpful book is honest and realistic, showing how “women’s issues” are not a side-light in mission, but are genuinely everyone’s concern. I want to give a copy to a friend who is grappling with some of these matters.
This unique book realistically describes the personal and spiritual problems that women encounter when caught up in the cross-cultural and spiritual task of proclaiming and demonstrating the good news of the Kingdom.
Introduction, Marguerite G. Kraft
- 1. Distinctly Female by Marguerite G. Kraft
- 2. Created to Serve by Marla Campbell
- 3. Making Adjustments Favorably by Marla Campbell
- 4. Constraints and Opportunities by Laurel A. McAllister
- 5. Dealing with Loss by Dianne B. Collard
- 6. Negotiating Reality Single by Sharon E. Soper
- 7. Negotiating Female Missionary Roles Cross-culturally by Donna Downes
- 8. Emotional Straight Talk by Ruth Ann Graybill
- 9. Combating Chronic Stress by Restoring God’s Image by Sheryl Takagi Silzer
- 10. Helping Finishers Bridge the Gap by Dianne B. Collard
- 11. High Alert to Enemy Attacks by Marguerite G. and Charles H. Kraft
- 12. In the Line of Fire by Steve Hoke and Judith E. Lingenfelter
Index of Biblical References